Wednesday 25 May 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate

A quick warning: If, like me, you don't like to know anything about a series before you read the first book then you might not want to read this as it does naturally contain some spoilers, being the second book in the series. Nothing major is revealed though so it's pretty safe.

Blurb: It took Lucinda an eternity to find her beloved angel, Daniel. But he waited for her. Now they are forced apart again, to protect Luce from the Outcasts – immortals who want her dead. During their separation, Luce learns about her mysterious past lives. But the more she discovers, the more she suspects that Daniel is hiding something.

What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t true? Is it really their destiny to be together? Or is Luce actually meant to be with someone else?

For the second time this week Lauren Kate has WOWed me. Following Fallen, Luce is moved to Shoreline, a school in California for gifted students known as Nephilim – the children of angels and humans. Left on her own Luce is forced to make new friends and she delights in a friendship with Miles, a fun, sensitive and unbelievably caring guy; Shelby, her sarcastic and rough around the edges roommate, and Dawn and Jasmine, two excitable and sweet girls. These characters had a way of sneaking into my head and I found myself thinking about them fondly when I was out and about.

At first I was a bit disappointed with Torment. With Daniel gone all the time things between him and Luce changed. Conflicts and jealousies arouse as secrets about the past were revealed.  I am a soppy romantic and I guess I just wanted to see them happy and together all the time! But obviously that wouldn’t make for an exciting story. But in Daniel’s absence we see some astonishing character development in Luce. She becomes more independent and starts to question Daniel and her past.  

This book had me frustrated and on the edge of my seat throughout (but in a good way!) I think ‘Torment’ is a very appropriate title for this story. Fingers crossed the same can be said for Passion ;)

While a few of my unanswered questions from Fallen were answered, Torment left me with many more questions. The ending was gripping and exciting and to be honest, I don’t know how I am going to wait until 23rd June to find out what happens!  4 ½ out of 5 Stars. It loses out because I wish we had seen more of Daniel throughout the book.Other than that, I loved this book! It was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

Two Words: Heart-breaking and Consuming

“When he turned to face her, the drawn look on his face was one of absolute agony. As if Luce had just ripped his heart out.”
 

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it! I actually found I liked Torment better than Fallen, and Passion is pre-ordered on my Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review! I loved this book, too. I cannot wait for Passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say that the Thanksgiving scene is one of my favorites. It was great for her to see all the people that love her in one room! Even the way it ended was great, I guess that is why I am excited for Passion.

    ReplyDelete